Monday, November 7, 2011

Ladies and Lipstick

This morning I realized that I am not the kinda girl who leaves the bathroom, let alone the house, without lipstick on. Crazy, I know, but for some deep seated reason, most notably, the fact that my Italian grandmother, Rose, once told me when I was young and impressionable, that even if you have to run out of the house in a fire, you should always take the time to apply lipstick. Well, I added the part about the fire, but she did tell me that even if you don't put on any other make up, you should always have lipstick on, and you will look like a lady. A lady, I want to look like a lady, when I take it as a personal affront (now that I am 50) when someone addresses me as “Lady?” My how the tides have turned!

It's is so funny to me, how after 40 some years, this advice from my grandmother is the only advice I think I ever listened to. It's ironic how I didn't pay attention when she told me that when I get a raise, I should save the extra money for a rainy day (or an extra tube of Revlon lipstick), or how to make the best meatballs ever … no I came away with the wisdom to never go without lipstick, no matter what the situation.

So, I am not the kinda girl who goes out without lipstick, as I am a “lady” after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment