Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Switzerland in my Life

Today my son turns 27.  He went from being the youngest of my children for 18 years to being the middle child when his sister Kaila was born.  The greatest gift a child can give to his mother is unconditional love, and my son has always been generous with me in that way.  When he was 17, his father and I separated.  He didn't choose sides, although his older sister did for a long few weeks.  He was the Switzerland in my life.  He always said he just wanted me to be happy, but I don't know if I ever returned the sentiment to him.  Thinking back over the last 10 years or so, his life has changed so dramatically, but yet, he has not.  He lost a family unit that was all he knew for 17 years, but yet, embraced the new family that I found myself sharing with him.  He lost a best friend, tragically, that I don't think he has recovered from yet.  But he still keeps making new friends.  He is me, and I am him.  I couldn't be prouder of him or love him any more than I do.

I heard a poem today by e.e. cummings with the line, "I hold your heart in my heart," and that is where my son belongs and will always have a place.

I am not the kinda mother who smothers her children, I let them grow up to be who they were meant to be, and my son is a man that I am proud to say I raised.  I love you Christopher.  Now and forever.  You are the calm in my storms and sun in my sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment